Posted to alt.home.repair

Default searching for lawn mower repair advice

Hi;

I've got a Tecumseh mower engine that will start but runs for a
second or two then dies.

I've read through some posts on this list discussing the same
problems.and followed the advice; fuel lines are clean, the carb. bowl
fills up with gas when primed, Needle valve seems intact and opening
is clear. I've removed and soaked the carb. in paint thinner and blew
out the openings with air. Scrubbed it and reinstalled it.

No change in operation though. The air cleaner is not even installed
at this point so I think that can be ruled out. The little tube is
sticking out in the open air (yes, the tube is clear) Choke linkage
also appears to move freely.

The engine is a Tecumseh LEV 120.
I got on their website but was not able to download an owners manual.

Any advice appreciated,
Rick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 7:31*am, Rick wrote:
[...]

Rick-

What has happened to it since it last ran properly?

My neighbor has a MK-3 concrete saw that he bought, ran & let sit for
~ a year. We went to run it two days ago & it would "start but runs
for a few seconds then dies."

Bottom line clogged ports / passages in carb. Carb cleaner & small
diameter welding rods to probe the passages.

Some carbs have a diaphragm in them that can dry out, get stiff & not
flex.

Sounds like you could use a card rebuild kit. Also carb cleaner is a
better solvent for gummed up gas than paint thinner.

Had similar problems with a chain saw, carb kit got it going again.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 9:52*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:31*am, Rick wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Paint thinner wont clean it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 10:52 am, BobK207 wrote:

What has happened to it since it last ran properly?

In my ICE experience (not extensive, but substantial) this type of
problem always seemed to be fuel supply.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:31:19 -0700 (PDT), Rick
wrote:

[...]

Check the fuel cap vent or use a paper clip / wire to ensure it is
clear. Will the engine run longer with the gas cap removed?

Check the choke butterfly; see if it is sticking...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 7:31*am, Rick wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you missed my comment?

"carb cleaner is a better solvent for gummed up gas than paint
thinner"

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:33:42 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
wrote:

On Apr 24, 10:52 am, BobK207 wrote:

What has happened to it since it last ran properly?

In my ICE experience (not extensive, but substantial) this type of
problem always seemed to be fuel supply.
-----

- gpsman

Don't know if your engine is a two stroke or four stroke. If two
stroke, and it is an older engine, it is quite sensitive to the
oil-fuel mix ratio. A bit too rich and what you have just experienced
will happen. My lawnmower, gas trimmer and snow thrower went through
all the cleaning and adjustments in their time. All three couldn't
have the same sickness. So I figured it must be the oil-fuel mix
ration (all three have different ratios). That fixed their problems.

Mix a correct fuel batch. Dilute a cupful of the mix by adding double
the fuel. Start the engine with this low oil mix and run to burn off
the excess oil. If it runs smoothly for two minutes top up the gas
tank with the correct mix and run some more. See if that solves the
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 7:31 am, Rick wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies,

The mower sat untouched for a couple of years. BTW, It is a 4 cycle
engine and the gas cap is off of the mower right now.

I tried some carb cleaner after reading this but it didn't seem to
change anything, Passages appear to be clear but there are some "ball
bearing" type valves in the body of the carb. that I think may be
still clogged. I don't know if those bearings are supposed to spin
freely. They don't

My fear is that I'll have to replace the whole carb.and that a kit
won't help me.

Rick
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick" wrote in message

Hi;

I've got a Tecumseh mower engine that will start but runs for a
second or two then dies.

I've read through some posts on this list discussing the same
problems.and followed the advice; fuel lines are clean, the carb. bowl
fills up with gas when primed, Needle valve seems intact and opening
is clear. I've removed and soaked the carb. in paint thinner and blew
out the openings with air. Scrubbed it and reinstalled it.

No change in operation though. The air cleaner is not even installed
at this point so I think that can be ruled out. The little tube is
sticking out in the open air (yes, the tube is clear) Choke linkage
also appears to move freely.

The engine is a Tecumseh LEV 120.
I got on their website but was not able to download an owners manual.

http://www.small-engines.com/
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:53:28 -0700 (PDT), Rick
wrote:

-snip-
My fear is that I'll have to replace the whole carb.and that a kit
won't help me.

I wouldn't waste time & effort on a kit. Carbs for most mowers can be
had for about $40-50.

The kit ill cost you about $15, take a few hours to rebuild- and
results are unknown.

Pat's small engines plus is my first stop these days when carbs give
me trouble-
http://www.psep.biz/index.htm
[no connection other than satisfied customer]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 3:45 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message

Hi;

I've got a Tecumsehmowerengine that will start but runs for a
second or two then dies.

I've read through some posts on this list discussing the same
problems.and followed the advice; fuel lines are clean, the carb. bowl
fills up with gas when primed, Needle valve seems intact and opening
is clear. I've removed and soaked the carb. in paint thinner and blew
out the openings with air. Scrubbed it and reinstalled it.

No change in operation though. The air cleaner is not even installed
at this point so I think that can be ruled out. The little tube is
sticking out in the open air (yes, the tube is clear) Choke linkage
also appears to move freely.

The engine is a Tecumseh LEV 120.
I got on their website but was not able to download an owners manual.

http://www.small-engines.com/http://.../sam/lmfaq.htm

Hi there;

This engine does not mix the oil and gas.

I know that fuel is getting into the bowl of the carburetor as it is
filled each time I disassemble it.

I looked at Pat's small engine site and it does not appear that they
have tecumseh carbs.. I'll keep searching. If I can get a new carb for
say $50, I'll do it.

Thanks again,
Rick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:31:26 -0700 (PDT), Rick
wrote:

-snip-
I looked at Pat's small engine site and it does not appear that they
have tecumseh carbs.. I'll keep searching. If I can get a new carb for
say $50, I'll do it.

I forgot that web design isn't Pat's strong point- [I had to Google
it]
http://www.psep.biz/store/tecumseh_carburetors.htm

3 carbs for the LV120 - $46, $49, $59- depending on serial number of
engine apparently.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 1:39 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:31:26 -0700 (PDT), Rick
wrote:

-snip-

I looked at Pat's small engine site and it does not appear that they
have tecumseh carbs.. I'll keep searching. If I can get a new carb for
say $50, I'll do it.

I forgot that web design isn't Pat's strong point- [I had to Google
it]http://www.psep.biz/store/tecumseh_carburetors.htm

3 carbs for the LV120 - $46, $49, $59- depending on serial number of
engine apparently.

Jim

Hi everyone;

I finally got this thing running and I wanted to share the info with
you.

The culprit on the carburetor was the hollow brass bolt that threads
up into the bowl of the carb from the bottom. The bolt has a few holes
and a chamber inside. If the holes or canal get clogged guess what ?
It won't stay running! I cleaned this puppy several times with
Gummout and used a paper clip and a needle to push all the gunk out.

I installed and removed it 2 or 3 times before the engine stayed
running.
I also sprayed Gummout into the air cleaner hole before starting it up
each time to keep the crap moving through.

Thanks again to everyone. You were a great help.

Rick