Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default bottle jack to raise dormer/room

On Apr 24, 9:36*am, "BETA-35" wrote:
I have a second floor dormer/room that had dropped a few inches on one end
(before I bought the property) due to a poor support design. *I now have it
supported from underneath and I want to try jacking it up a little at a time
using a 20-ton bottle jack on each of the two exterior corners. *It actually
needs to go up about 4 inches in order for the dormer/room floor to become
level again. *I don't know if that will be possible, but I want to try
jacking it up a little at a time and see if that will be feasible. *I expect
cracks etc., but I am redoing the house so that is not an issue or problem..

My question is, what can I put on top of the bottle jacks to spread the load
out over a larger surface area. *I assume I can look for and buy a couple of
small steel plates to put on top of each bottle jack, but I am not sure.
Or, is there something that is made for this that is available?

Thanks.

P.S. -- *I tried posting this 3 times yesterday, and tried to attach two photos each time. *It doesn't look like any of those posts appeared. *I am using Outlook Express for a newsreader. *What do I need to do to be able to attach or include photos?

A screw jack is cheap and will help with control, you want to do it
over weeks or more.