Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default bottle jack to raise dormer/room

"BETA-35" wrote in message
. ..
I have a second floor dormer/room that had dropped a few inches on one end
(before I bought the property) due to a poor support design. I now have it
supported from underneath and I want to try jacking it up a little at a time
using a 20-ton bottle jack on each of the two exterior corners. It actually
needs to go up about 4 inches in order for the dormer/room floor to become
level again. I don't know if that will be possible, but I want to try
jacking it up a little at a time and see if that will be feasible. I expect
cracks etc., but I am redoing the house so that is not an issue or problem.

My question is, what can I put on top of the bottle jacks to spread the load
out over a larger surface area. I assume I can look for and buy a couple of
small steel plates to put on top of each bottle jack, but I am not sure.
Or, is there something that is made for this that is available?

Thanks.

P.S. -- I tried posting this 3 times yesterday, and tried to attach two photos
each time. It doesn't look like any of those posts appeared. I am using
Outlook Express for a newsreader. What do I need to do to be able to attach or
include photos?

Use a large timber to spread out the force. Perhaps a 4x6 or 4x8 under the
joists to spread out the force under the whole area being lifted. Or more,
depending on the length of the area being lifted.

Pictures are only allowed in newsgroups with the word "binaries" in their name.
Many servers automatically drop binaries from non-binary newsgroups, which means
most people won't be albe to see them. Put the pictures on a website, and
include a URL for the picture in your posting.