Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Fence advise: Wood + Chain link

"Jon" wrote in message

My first problem is the prices I'm being quoted for materials. Turns
out that around here anything over 5' is pretty much commercial
grade. That means steel posts and about 5x the cost of the
residential stuff. I'm thinking that instead of using metal posts for
the corner and line posts, I'd use wood. What do you think about
using a 10' 4x4 buried 3' deep for a chain link fence post?

Steel prices have gone through the roof the past couple of years. As for
the posts, I'd either use the metal or not bother doing the job. My guess
is the line posts may be OK for a few years, but the corner posts can be
trouble with the tension on them. .