Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nmbexcuse@hotmail.com is offline

Default Pulling a wire through a EMT pipe

I guess I have two questions. First let me explain this situation.

I have an existing EMT conduit that runs from my panel in the garage
to a junction box in the attic 80 feet away. From the junction box
another pipe to go to the outside to serve the pool pump.

When my electricians were looking at the wires, they determined that
the color of the wires are wrong on that run, they have used a blue
#12 wire when it should be white #12 to the junction box, and then
they used a black #12 to continue on that wire to the pump (actually
the timer of the pump). Due to this mis-color, it got them confused
and they recommended that I rerun new wires while we are working on
the wiring. I agreed. This resulted in me having to buy an extra
roll of 500' #12 wire ($60) and a change order to the contract with
added money ($250).

They told me this was "all taken care of".

Now a few days later, I asked them if they ran the wire, they told me
no. Why, because the conduit was too tight, it has #8 wires in it to
serve an AC unit, and they tried to pull the old wire but not able to,
thinking the old wire may be twisted or tangled with the #8 around
some elbows. I understand that....but...

(1) In this case, should I be subjected to the added charge? Since
they didn't do what they said they would do? or yes since they spent
time trying? At the end they used colored electrical tapes to wrap
around the ends of the wires to indicate the mis-coloration.

(2) Should I attempt to change it? Should I ask them to pull the #8
and the #12 all out, untangle everything, and then run the new wires
through together? or is this a high risk that we may not be able to
feed everything through? Pipe is 1/2", there are I think two #8 and
two #12 with the intent to replace both #12.

Thanks in advance,

MC