Thomas Mitchell

Default Scroll Saw recommendations

1. Make sure it takes unpinned blades. Make sure that blade changes
are easy - if it requires an adapter to turn unpinned blades into
pinned blades, you won't like it. DAMHIKT.

Exactly what I read in the archived threads.

3. Variable speed isn't mandatory, but it sure is handy. My kids use
the lower speeds, I tend to use middle or high depending on the
blade. The thing that kills blades the most is HEAT and high speed
means friction and thus heat, which lowers blade life.

Don't remember reading this in the other threads. Interesting point.

4. Vibration. There should be NONE. Put a coin on the table (on edge
if you can) and slowly go through all the speeds. There should be
no sign from the coin that there's any vibration.

I would expect that from a higher end model, but I'd expect some
vibration in the lower end which is what I'm after.

My second choice for fine work was the
Delta variable speed 16" - it has (well, the one I tried had) slightly
more vibration, but the blade doesn't move horizontally as much, and
it was far cheaper.

Amazon has the Delta 40-570R 16" VS for $159. It's reconditioned and I
have never bought reconditioned, but am considering it this time. I do
recall reading several threads about this saw having considerable
vibration though.