Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default how do you suggest cutting a round hole in existing ceramic floortile

On Apr 21, 2:21 pm, willshak wrote:
on 4/21/2008 10:40 AM bear said the following: I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

One of the ads for the Rotozip saw has it cutting a hole in wall tile.
Perhaps it will work on floor tile as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The bit used on a Roto-Zip isn't really strong enough to go through
the much-thicker floor tile. I know from (unfortunate) personal
experience. What I would recommend is using a 5" diamond-edge circular
saw to cut a square hole 6" on a side. If your personal saw isn't
powerful enough, rent one from the local tool rental shop. Believe me,
it's worth the investment of time and money. It will also make the
cleanest cut with the least chance of cracking or otherwise damaging
the tile beyond the cut area.