Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how do you suggest cutting a round hole in existing ceramic floortile

I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bear wrote:
I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

That'll work, but...(there's always a "but", isn't there? )

What size/type of tile? If it's completely hidden as you say, the quick
'n dirty to just break out a tile at the grout line via cold chisel
would suffice, too. (I know, you want "neat", too...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 10:40 am, bear wrote:
I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical.

I'd just use a chisel on the tile.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:40:24 -0700 (PDT), bear
wrote:

I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

I have seen China made carbide tipped hole saws of various sizes
including 6 inch. They are a must to cut holes in granite
countertops. Perhaps you can rent one. But a stitch line of 1/8 drill
holes made with a masonry bit is still the easiest way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/21/2008 10:40 AM bear said the following:
I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

One of the ads for the Rotozip saw has it cutting a hole in wall tile.
Perhaps it will work on floor tile as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 1:21*pm, willshak wrote:
on 4/21/2008 10:40 AM bear said the following: I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

One of the ads for the Rotozip saw has it cutting a hole in wall tile.
Perhaps it will work on *floor tile as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hey thanks to all for the great suggestions. I bought the 4 inch
diamond blade for a grinder but the idea of drilling holes interests
me. I may just try that first as the diamond wheel can always be
returned.

I thought about trying to use a chisel and break it but the hole must
cross two 13” tile and although it will be hidden by the cabinet, it
is within about 4” of the cabinet edge and I worry about cracking the
tile where it is exposed.

Bill, I have a rotorzip with the bit for tile but it is not
recommended for floor tile. I tried it but came to the conclusion that
at my age I would be gone before the hole was finished.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ted
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

In my experience most floor tiles are so hard that masonry bits and
non-diamond tools will not work reliably if at all.

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 4/21/2008 10:40 AM bear said the following:
I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

One of the ads for the Rotozip saw has it cutting a hole in wall tile.
Perhaps it will work on floor tile as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Hey thanks to all for the great suggestions. I bought the 4 inch
diamond blade for a grinder but the idea of drilling holes interests
me. I may just try that first as the diamond wheel can always be
returned.

I thought about trying to use a chisel and break it but the hole must
cross two 13” tile and although it will be hidden by the cabinet, it
is within about 4” of the cabinet edge and I worry about cracking the
tile where it is exposed.

Bill, I have a rotorzip with the bit for tile but it is not
recommended for floor tile. I tried it but came to the conclusion that
at my age I would be gone before the hole was finished.

Again, thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ted

Just out of curiosity, why is the hole planned so close to the edge of
the cabinet? Can you not
put an angle on the exhaust to move it over? I would be concerned about
cracking the grout joint
in addidtion to cracking the tile, and with possibly sacrificing two
tiles rather than one.

We have tile put down by a wonderful contractor. Where the tile
surrounds railing anchors, they
cut the tile in half, cut half the hole in each half, and then laid them
such that the cut is invisible. It
would be worth contacting a contractor ... probably have the tools and
practice to do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 2:21 pm, willshak wrote:
on 4/21/2008 10:40 AM bear said the following: I'm in need of a six inch round hole in ceramic floor tile for a cook
top vent system. It is under a cabinet so neatness or exactness is not
critical. I only have one to do so would rather not invest a lot into
it.

Is the dry diamond wheel on a grinder the best way to go or are there
better suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Ted

One of the ads for the Rotozip saw has it cutting a hole in wall tile.
Perhaps it will work on floor tile as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The bit used on a Roto-Zip isn't really strong enough to go through
the much-thicker floor tile. I know from (unfortunate) personal
experience. What I would recommend is using a 5" diamond-edge circular
saw to cut a square hole 6" on a side. If your personal saw isn't
powerful enough, rent one from the local tool rental shop. Believe me,
it's worth the investment of time and money. It will also make the
cleanest cut with the least chance of cracking or otherwise damaging
the tile beyond the cut area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 2:58 pm, bear wrote:
On Apr 21, 1:21 pm, willshak wrote:

Hey thanks to all for the great suggestions. I bought the 4 inch
diamond blade for a grinder but the idea of drilling holes interests
me. I may just try that first as the diamond wheel can always be
returned.

Diamond wheels on grinders are incredibly useful. Keep it.

I thought about trying to use a chisel and break it but the hole must
cross two 13” tile and although it will be hidden by the cabinet, it
is within about 4” of the cabinet edge and I worry about cracking the
tile where it is exposed.

Use the angle grinder to cut a straight line across the tile under the
cabinet, then chisel out what you don't want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 7:31*am, Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

practice to do the job.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and comments.

I tried drilling holes with the masonry bits but they did not work, at
least mine didn’t. The diamond wheel worked great and was fast.

Norminn, the hole is 3” from the edge of the cabinet and was placed
in that location to permit as much room in the cabinet as possible. It
is a small island with a cooktop grill and my wife wanted as much
storage as possible in the cabinet.

I build custom cabinets and furniture and also do some metalwork so
have a shop full of tools.

Thanks again.

Ted
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 9:11*am, bear wrote:
[...]

Ted- Hide quoted text -

" I tried drilling holes with the masonry bits but they did not
work"

I bought a glass/tile-cutting bit at Lowes when I had to drill the
anchoring holes for a pedestal sink. It wasn't the Kobalt brand shown
here, but it was the same "arrow head" style bit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...724&lpage=none

I kept the tip damp and it went through without any problem - I took
my time, but it worked fine.

Buy a single tile of the same material if you want to try it out
before climbing under the cabinet.