Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default compressor tank failure mode

"DGDevin" writes:

Uh, wrong, certain small sizes are exempt but larger tanks (depending on
capacity and dimensions) have expiration dates including scuba tanks,
airgun
tanks and so on. Metal tanks are usually good for five years between
hydro
recerts, fiber-wrapped tanks from three to five years depending on the
design. Fiber-wrapped tanks can only be recertified three times and then
have to be destroyed, but all-metal tanks are good so long as they pass
inspection and testing, I've seen fifty-pound CO2 tanks with the earliest
markings being WWII-era. In the U.S. this is federal DOT law BTW,
although
you'll also find additional local requirements, e.g. there are states
where
you can't get a scuba tank refilled if it doesn't have an annual interior
visual inspection sticker even if it has a current hydro-test certificate.

Tanks generally don't develop pinhole leaks that eventually get larger,
when
they fail they fail suddenly and usually catastrophically. If you don't
believe any of that get down to your local scuba shop and ask them, they
get
bulletins on tank failures and can show you photos.

What is up with the friggin scuba tanks????????????? We are talking low
pressure compressor air tanks. And yes those get pin hole leaks and leak,
been there done that.