Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default compressor tank failure mode

"Leon" wrote:

"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
My compressor use is limited to using a carry tank for filling tires
and very small brad-nailing jobs. The tank used to scare me, thinking
of the energy contained in 125 lb of compressed air. And now I see
that my tank has an "expiration date" (already passed) embossed on it.
And I'll get rid of it if it is a danger. But I was thinking--what
does happen if the tank fails? It's not like a bomb, where there is a
near-instantaneous increase in pressure that tears the tank apart. It
seems to me that what is likely to happen is rust will create a thin
spot that will eventually fail, releasing rather unspectacularly all
the air in the tank.

Is there any safety risk in using an "expired" tank?
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

I have never heard of an expiration date on a tank. Sounds more like a
tactic to generate sales down the road. Typically a tank will eventually
rust inside and a pin hole will developed. The hole will leak and it will
get bigger.

That's what my intuition was telling me, but I wanted to test that
with the folks here. Thanks.