JackD

Default table saw: Grizzly cabinet vs Delta contractor's

"BobAtVandy" wrote in message
.. .
I'm giving serious consideration to getting into woodworking and know from
these forums that investing in a good table saw is the first/best
investment.
To get the best means a cabinet saw, but that is out of my budget for a
brand name cabinet saw such as Powermatic or Jet, so that would mean I'd

buy
a contractor's saw if I were to stay with a name brand.
However, a Grizzly cabinet saw is nearer to the cost a Delta/Jet
contractor's saw. While there is much discussion on these forums of the
pros and cons of Grizzly cabinet vs brand-name cabinet, or Grizzly
contractor's saw vs brand-name contractor's saw, I haven't seen any
discussion on the following question:

Would you prefer to own a Delta or Jet contractor's saw, or a Grizzly
cabinet saw? Why?

Many thanks to any who reply.

The advantage of a cabinet saw is that they are generally heavier and are
usually equipped with heavier wings, more powerful motors, multiple belts
and heavier trunions. This would tend to make them vibrate less and they
should be better at producing high quality cuts. On the other hand, they are
heavier and have a flat base instead of legs so if you have to lift the saw
or roll it on uneven surfaces a cabinet saw is not a good choice.
Contractors saws are generally designed to be mobile enough to take to a
jobsite. Cabinet saws are meant to stay in the shop.

For me the choice was pretty clear. I got a grizzly cabinet saw which
arrived yesterday - at least most of it arrived. The fence is still in
transit. Although cosmetically the finish of some of the parts is not to the
highest standard, mechanically it seems to be pretty solid and precise.
Tonight I'll spend some time checking the alignment to be sure.

-Jack