Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rear fold down ramp for trailer. (Is solid ok?)

On Apr 18, 11:01*am, Al Patrick wrote:
stryped wrote:
Been looking at trailers on lots as others have suggested. Most that
have a fold down ramp made of angle iron and expanded metal.

Would there be any detriment to using diamod plate instead of expanded
metal on it? I am assuming there may be some sort of wind turbulance
pulling but am not sure.

If it was solid I could maybe but my 8N on the trailer if I ever
needed to which would be rare.

At $5.00 per gal. gasoline (no. not yet. but wait.) how much wind
resistence do you want? *Assuming this is the RAMPS you are talking
about. *Now, for the bed. *Diamond plate is good. *Expanded metal will
allow much of the mud, etc. to drop through - or come up from the
bottom! *The diamond plate will be easier to sweep off. *Plus, if you're
hauling gravel you'll need to consider the holes in the expanded metal
vs. the size gravel. *You *may* be better off with diamond plate on the
bed. *Expanded metal on the ramps - if anything. *If you have two
individual ramps you may just want the angle iron placed close enough
for whatever tires you plan to run up them.

You can bet gas will be more than $5.

Every pound costs you gas mileage.

Any solid vertical surface will cost you gass mileage.

Expanded mesh is better than solid...but it still costs you in
mileage. The trailers you see with it on the ramps are mainly driven
in town short distances.

Individual ramps are best.

Understand the loads you are planning on using before trying to load.
I have seen more than one trailer crushed by a load that was not meant
to be.

TMT