Thomas Mitchell

Default [Questions]: Beginning woodworker needs some advice

Have you considered taking classes locally? Our Woodcraft store offers
classes for all levels of experience and has many for beginners. The
tools are provided as well as the wood.

stormwolf wrote:
Hi all:

This seems to be a very active and helpful group and I am hoping that
I will get some advice for the newbie questions I am about to ask :-)

I am a beginning woodworker. I am just starting to research into this
area. My interests are to start out small - maybe build a small
shelf, a jewelery box, a small storage cabinet. Stuff like that. The
first thing is that I live in a apartment with limited room. I can
devote a little bit of room (maybe 8 ft x 6ft) for my woodworking
projects. Does anyone live in a small apartment and do their
projects? What kind of problems might I encounter? The 2 that
spring right to mind are maybe noise complaints by neighbours and
cleaning the area. Any suggestions on this?

Also, I'd like to start out small. I do not want to spend a lot of
money on tools initially but I will buy the minimum required stuff.
Hammer, saw, planes, chisel....Does anyone have any advice on this?

Also keeping the nature and scope of my projects in mind (as described
above), does anyone have any recommendations on books to get? Again,
keep in mind that I am a complete newbie. The closest I have gotten
to woodworking is putting an Ikea table together ;-)

Regards,

Stormwolf