Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped stryped is offline

Default Rear fold down ramp for trailer. (Is solid ok?)

On Apr 19, 8:35*pm, Al Patrick wrote:
stryped wrote:

What other projects?

Stryped,

I *think* this is what he was driving at! *IF you have not "built" any
other projects you may need to start with something with a bit less
liability risk should something go wrong.

Tell us about some of your welding repairs, especially those that held
up under hard service for a long time.

A trailer takes a real beating up and down the road hitting pot / chug
holes everywhere. A load on the trailer, the only reason for having a
trailer in the first place, increases the strains and stresses on the
steel *and welds*. *Sometimes they *may* have a tendency to "fishtail"
and dance all over the road, having a tendency to flop the towing
vehicle around with its gyrations. *Under these circumstances you could
very easily lose control of the towing vehicle and wind up in the ditch
- or worse, a river - with the tractor on top of you.

Several of us probably think you should build a trailer to tow behind
your riding lawn mower before you build one to haul an 8N tractor up and
down the road with.

Perhaps, in the mean time you should just buy a good factory built
trailer WITH BRAKES. *;-)

I am admittently a little new to arc welding. ALl my projects have
been with my 130 amp mig Hobart welder.

6 years ago just to do it I build a 12x16 shed entirely out of 2 inch
square tubing. The rood and everyrhing. It has stood up to severe
weather. I welded it with the Hobart and flux core wire.

Using the same welder I have built a tow behind sprayer trailer for my
lawn mower. I welded a side jack to my dad's trailer. Welded his
bushog.

Got mad when vandals messed with my mailbox and made one out of 3 inch
square tubing.

I am sure there were others.

Again, most of this was with mig. I have been practicing with stick.