Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Intermatic Whole House Surge Protector ?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message news:VM2dnfrrp-
Intermatic surge protectors do not use MOVs - they are electronic.
The one you are considering handles 1200 joules and 48,000 Amps.
Usually this is adequate to handle typical power-line surges (blown
transformer, re-connect time, etc.). It they take a hit, they keep
on working (unless it's a direct lightning strike!). They indicate
when they no longer are working (I think by yelling "help").

Use of this device does not remove the need for more modest surge
protectors on individual devices. The Intermatic protects against
surges from outside your home, but it's possible a device inside
your home could generate a surge affecting stuff on the house side
of the Intermatic.

Why would the intermatic not absorb in-house surges?

The suggestion comes from the Intermatic web site.

I presume because everything on the same side of the device causing the
surge - including the Intermatic - is exposed to the surge. It's not the path
of least resistance; it's everything.

I would imagine that the suppressor would absorb the surge to keep it from
passing on to other circuits at the breaker panel.