Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Intermatic Whole House Surge Protector ?

On Apr 17, 3:50*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Having a new service box installed in a residence.

Electrician has never used these before, so thought I'd ask here.

Was thinking of purchasing, and having him install, an Intermatic
Whole House Surge Suppressor
Model 4870 in the new box. *Have had several large lightning storms
in the past, and one nearby strike fried the control board on our
furnace ! * The Intermatic unit isn't all that expensive, about $80
or so.
Any of you folks ever used this model ?

Worth doing ? *Thoughts on ?

BTW: *If they do ever take a big hit, do they (usually) fail open or
closed ?

e.g., would the MOV's be shorting the hot to neutral/ground after a
big hit, such that the unit would have to be removed prior to
re-initiating service ?

Intermatic surge protectors do not use MOVs - they are electronic.

What is this claim based on? If they don't use MOV's what exactly
do they use? Also, this would seem to imply that MOV's are not
considered electronic components, but I believe by any reasonable
definition, they are electronic components.

The one
you are considering handles 1200 joules and 48,000 Amps. Usually this is
adequate to handle typical power-line surges (blown transformer, re-connect
time, etc.). It they take a hit, they keep on working (unless it's a direct
lightning strike!). They indicate when they no longer are working (I think
by yelling "help").

Use of this device does not remove the need for more modest surge protectors
on individual devices. The Intermatic protects against surges from outside
your home, but it's possible a device inside your home could generate a
surge affecting stuff on the house side of the Intermatic.

We have one on our office service (not this model, but the same idea). We've
never been bothered by a power surges. We've never been bothered by
stampeding elephants either, so that's not much of a testimonial.- Hide quoted text -