Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default 16 or 18 gauge nailer

Get your hands on some excess stock and try it both ways. Never hurts.
That way you get to develop your technique before you go "live".

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Arbee wrote:
Hi. I'm going to be installing some 3/4" poplar trim on 3/4" wood
backing and need some advice. I have both 16 and 18 gauge nailers.
Because of the style of the trim, I'm going to have to nail pretty
close to the edges, so I figure the 18 gauge is the best choice. We
got the trim custom made and the wife will kill me if I split it.
I have a 2 part question. First, if I go with the 18 gauge, would the
3/4" poplar just create a bunch of 18 gauge pretzels and second, since
the brads are only 1.25", is 1/2" penetration into the backing enough?
I guess the other question would be, if I go with the 16 gauge, is it
likely to split the wood?

Thanks.