Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hay Scale? (It's made of metal!)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 08:02:58 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .

OK, I posted a photo in the Dropbox: Hay_CottonScale.gif &
Hay_CottonScale.txt
Coming from this area, it's possible that it's a cotton scale, but I still
don't
know what would have been attached to the left side to bring it level. The
scale
is 0 - 50 lbs. Maybe a pan - it took about 2.75 lbs to level it out.

See my note about the extra weights; It looks like I missed a good deal,
unless
I can find the dealer again.

Sorry about the file size - IrfanView converted it to a smaller format,
but
defaulted to a .gif & I sent it before I realized it was no longer a .jpg.

Joe

50 lbs is way too light to be for cotton or hay.
From the picture, it looks like the scale the old hardware store used to
weigh nails in. Except it is missing the scoop shaped pan.

Paul K. Dickman

I was under the impression that a lot of cotton scales were used in
the field to weigh the bags (not bales) as the individual brought them
in. Of course, I don't know how much any one bag would weigh when
full.

One interesting thing about the scale is that the beam is tapered. If
you loosen the counterweight setscrew just a little, it will slide to
the right, but not to the left. There must be a specific reason for
this, but I don't know what it is.

Joe