Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Rear fold down ramp for trailer. (Is solid ok?)

On Apr 18, 12:01*pm, Al Patrick wrote:
stryped wrote:
Been looking at trailers on lots as others have suggested. Most that
have a fold down ramp made of angle iron and expanded metal.

Would there be any detriment to using diamod plate instead of expanded
metal on it? I am assuming there may be some sort of wind turbulance
pulling but am not sure.

If it was solid I could maybe but my 8N on the trailer if I ever
needed to which would be rare.

At $5.00 per gal. gasoline (no. not yet. but wait.) how much wind
resistence do you want? *Assuming this is the RAMPS you are talking
about. *Now, for the bed. *Diamond plate is good. *Expanded metal will
allow much of the mud, etc. to drop through - or come up from the
bottom! *The diamond plate will be easier to sweep off. *Plus, if you're
hauling gravel you'll need to consider the holes in the expanded metal
vs. the size gravel. *You *may* be better off with diamond plate on the
bed. *Expanded metal on the ramps - if anything. *If you have two
individual ramps you may just want the angle iron placed close enough
for whatever tires you plan to run up them.

Is 4x4 1/4 inch tubing too big/heavy for a 10 foot trailer? I can get
80 feet of it at scap price.