Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hay Scale? (It's made of metal!)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:11:17 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote: If one were to hang a counterweight on the loop shown to
the right,
would that act as a multiplier? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Physics 1A: No. A counter weight shifts the zero--it does not change the
ratios.

Right, my large Fairbanks platform scale (as well as all others of
that type I've seen) does exactly that. There are a number of flat,
circular plates that are stacked on a hanging plate that is suspended
from the right side. As you say, the zero is shifted, so the scale
that read from 0 - 200 lbs now reads from (say) 300 - 500 lbs. I
assume that is the purpose of the loop on my scale in question, as
well.

Joe