Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Joe is offline

Default OK......... WOW

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:56:08 -0400, Arch wrote:
A question for those who have used a shop version of the Beall system
then changed to the real thing. Was the Beall system distinctly better?

No.

If so how much do you think was due to the progression of tripoli-white
diamond-carnauba compared to the progression of
linen-linen/flannel-flannel buffing wheels?

Who doesn't do progression of compounds? It's always done for sanding,
plane or scrape-sandpaper-steel wool.

As to linen/flannel, I've used other materials including sisal, denim,
string and nylon for wheels and they each have their values. Linen and
flannel are very cheap, easy to procur and work well for wood.

I use different polishing compounds in addition to tripoli-white diamond-
carnauba and keep a separate wheel for each compound used, beeswax, tung
oil, etc.. I use my system for polishing many materials, wood, metal,
glass, seashells, stone, etc..

I'm assuming the same rpm.

I use variable rpm, different processes need a different rpm.

A similar question for those who have made shop versions of the Wolverine
sharpening system and changed to the real thing.

No experience with wolverine, made my own jigs for sharpening.