Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

stryped wrote:

I have looked on lots. There are as many designs as I have questions.
One question by the way, would it be stupid to put a dovetail and a
fold down gate on a 10 foot trailer? And if I did have a dovetail,
when calculating the axle placement using the 60/40 rule, do you
consider the dovetail in terms of the total length?

Depends ENTIRELY how you intend to load it.
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

I would guess most of the time the load would be on the regular part
of the bed. The dovetail would just be there if I ever had to load my
8n tractor on it.

The dovetail has weight and affects the balance of the trailer. Figure
it out. If your trailer is only 10' long you won't have much room to
shift your load back and forth without being on the dovetail. Plus
you'll probably wind up with some kind of ramps - also heavy - probably
attached to the rear.