Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Looking for a little saw advice

wrote:
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

You will have to crosscut mostly but you will also probably have to rip.
Therefore...

1. A miter saw by itself won't cut it.
2. A radial saw will do both. It is easier used to crosscut rather than rip
3. A table saw will do both. It's forte is ripping but crosscuts OK.

If it were me I'd get a decent table saw AND a miter saw. The two should be
purchaseable for about what you'd pay for a radial saw. Of particular
concern with the table saw is the fence...it should be sturdy, adjust easily
and - most important - be repeatable; i.e., it should ALWAYS lock parallel
to the blade.

BTW, you sneaked in under the wire...I now filter all news messages that
include "gmail" in the From line. Most of the mountain of SPAM in usenet is
originating from Google/gmail.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...