Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a little saw advice

My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

Thanks again,
Darren
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a power mitre box?? Nice for small stock like flooring,
molding, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

I recommend the $99 Ryobi table saw at HD. I used one for almost the same
project you are contemplating.

Fact is, I got half way through the project using my radial arm say and a
miter saw. The problem was ripping planks for the last row - it's not the
easiest thing on MY radial arm saw.

Anyway, the table saw worked swell on the remaing parts of the project.

A radial arm saw is the saw of choice for a lot of projects - it's hard to
beat its precision for shutters, cabinets, and the like. A cheap table saw
can't be beaten for laminate flooring. For classic hardwood flooring (the
long, 3" wide planks), a radial, miter, hand power, or table saw would work
equally well.

Perhaps rent one or both at HD?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

Thanks again,
Darren

If you're doing flooring, you will need to do many crosscuts and a few rip
operations. A radial arm saw would do those cuts and much more. The problem
with radial arm saw is a good one is expensive and big and heavy only for
stationary work. If you have projects outside of the house this will not be
practical. It is also somewhat more dangerous and intimidating than other
saws doing some cutting operations. A table saw could do both rips and
crosscuts as well and the smaller ones could be moved from jobsite to
jobsite. Best of both worlds is a table saw set up for rip and a sliding
miter saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

I've long wished that i had gotten a table saw rather than a radial arm saw as
my first big tool purchase. For the flooring, a miter saw is a better bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
wrote in message
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm
not afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw
have to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll
be able to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be
great...FYI, I have other projects that will require miter cuts.

I've long wished that i had gotten a table saw rather than a radial
arm saw as my first big tool purchase. For the flooring, a miter saw
is a better bet.

You can't rip with a miter saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

Thanks again,
Darren

Get an inexpensive but not super econo 10" miter saw. You'll love it if
most of what you do is not ripping. A big plus is it's easily portable.
I used it for 98% of cuts on laminate floor I did.

I just used a jig saw for the few rips I had to do. The edge was covered
by molding anyway. Might be hard with a jigsaw if it's 3/4" hardwood
though. Besides, the rips were not straight since the walls were not
straight (big surprise!). To do that on a table saw (or radial arm I
guess), you would need a taper jig.

The Borg has a Hitachi for $99 on sale (locally here anyway) that is
usually 139.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CE2&lpage=none

Be sure to use a carbide tipped blade if lamanate. A steel blade will
last 10 cuts before it starts blue smoking. Carbide tipped should be
what you use standard anyway for almost everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 12:16*pm, wrote:
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. *This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. *I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. *Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

Thanks again,
Darren

I had a radial arm saw and I sold it. As others have said this job i
is something best done with a powered miter saw for cross-cuts and a
table saw for ripping. The radial arm saw I had did not do anything
that I could not do with the miter saw and the table saw. Just my
opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

You will have to crosscut mostly but you will also probably have to rip.
Therefore...

1. A miter saw by itself won't cut it.
2. A radial saw will do both. It is easier used to crosscut rather than rip
3. A table saw will do both. It's forte is ripping but crosscuts OK.

If it were me I'd get a decent table saw AND a miter saw. The two should be
purchaseable for about what you'd pay for a radial saw. Of particular
concern with the table saw is the fence...it should be sturdy, adjust easily
and - most important - be repeatable; i.e., it should ALWAYS lock parallel
to the blade.

BTW, you sneaked in under the wire...I now filter all news messages that
include "gmail" in the From line. Most of the mountain of SPAM in usenet is
originating from Google/gmail.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
If it were me I'd get a decent table saw AND a miter saw. The two should be
purchaseable for about what you'd pay for a radial saw. Of particular
concern with the table saw is the fence...it should be sturdy, adjust easily
and - most important - be repeatable; i.e., it should ALWAYS lock parallel
to the blade.

Ditto. My first big tool was a Craftsman RAS. Now I also have a table saw and
a compound miter saw... which are the two that get used the most. My RAS mostly
exists as a surface to lay things on. But I hate to get rid of anything I've
bought, so I keep the thing.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
I had a radial arm saw and I sold it. As others have said this job i
is something best done with a powered miter saw for cross-cuts and a
table saw for ripping. The radial arm saw I had did not do anything
that I could not do with the miter saw and the table saw. Just my
opinion.

Same here, I actually gave it away because no one wanted to buy it. They are
tedious to keep aligned and don't do anything that other much more portable
saws can do. There is a good reason you don't see them displayed in stores.

I wish that had been true when I bought mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all of the excellent information everyone. I think I'm
going to go with a table and miter saw. For the miter saw would you
recommend just a regular one, or a compound or a sliding compound? I
don't know that I'll ever do any beveled cuts, but maybe.

Also, I'll need to raise the subfloor 1/4" so I was planning on using
sheets of 1/4" plywood and attaching it with screws, is this
advisable? If so, which kind of screws would be best? And will
either of these saws be able to handle big sheets like that, or will I
need something else?

Thanks again for all of the great responses thus far.

Darren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:53:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Thanks for all of the excellent information everyone. I think I'm
going to go with a table and miter saw. For the miter saw would you
recommend just a regular one, or a compound or a sliding compound? I
don't know that I'll ever do any beveled cuts, but maybe.

Also, I'll need to raise the subfloor 1/4" so I was planning on using
sheets of 1/4" plywood and attaching it with screws, is this
advisable? If so, which kind of screws would be best? And will
either of these saws be able to handle big sheets like that, or will I
need something else?

Thanks again for all of the great responses thus far.

Darren

I just finished (finally!) laying down 1600 sq ft of engineered
hardwood plank flooring. This included two sets of stairs. I already
had a table saw, which was about the only way to rip down the planks
in any easy, accurate and quick fashion. I also bought a dual bevel,
compound, sliding, laser-guide, miter saw (Bosch 10") for the job,
which I intend to keep around. This was a fairly expensive miter saw,
but I am glad I went with it. The planks were 4 1/2" width and with
some of the angles I needed, I don't believe a non sliding 10" saw
would have made it.

When it came to doing the stairs, where exact cuts were needed to fit
exactly up against the stringers all those adjectives that I used
above to describe the miter saw made the amount I paid for the saw
worth it. Most cuts on stairs were at very small. off 90 degree
miters, and similtaneously cutting on a bevel. Lining up the miter
angle accurately using the laser (and a tread tool) made a big
difference in the final look of the job and the ease of getting the
job done in a reasonable time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:22:20 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

You can't rip with a miter saw.

Sure for a short piece. I will rip what can and then finish the radius
(outside bull nose corner) with a jig saw. These are short pieces of
wood flooring.

There is a serious danger, though! Not all rips are secure against
the saw fence (tapered cuts for the final inch or two of wood
flooring).

My finish blades don't *recommend* the blade for ripping :-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can't rip with a miter saw.

Sure for a short piece. I will rip what can and then finish the radius
(outside bull nose corner) with a jig saw. These are short pieces of
wood flooring.

There is a serious danger, though! Not all rips are secure against
the saw fence (tapered cuts for the final inch or two of wood
flooring).

My finish blades don't *recommend* the blade for ripping :-/

Ah, okay. My flooring planks were four feet long. Ripping 10" at each end
still left more than two feet to do with a jig saw.

Need advice please The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 4 September 1st 06 10:40 PM
ac advice Amadeus W. M. Home Repair 13 June 1st 06 01:19 AM
ADVICE PLEASE Cyberdog UK diy 2 April 5th 06 11:21 AM
A/C Changes and Advice [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 9th 06 02:38 PM
Tax advice Michael Mcneil UK diy 16 December 31st 04 11:40 PM