Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Looking for a little saw advice

wrote in message
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

Thanks again,
Darren

A 12" miter saw to do crosscuts. A compound type is optional. A
"slider" will add $200+ to the price, which you probably don't need.
And a bench tablesaw to do the rip cuts. If you have more money a
contractor saw with a quality fence would be a nice upgrade. I've
been woodworking for over 40 years and have not yet used a radial-arm
saw. Quality blades are about $100 each. Miter saws and table saws
are fairly easy to keep tuned up.