Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Hay Scale? (It's made of metal!)

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Joe" wrote: I just bought what I've always called a "hay scale". (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It sounds like a steelyard scale (pronounced stilyerd.) I have one hanging
in the living room with a pan, holding some plants. It is constructed so
the beam can be inverted to bring different hooks into play, changing the
ratio. Yours most likely has a pan missing. You could make one or find one
from an old grocery scale. You will have to tinker with the weight, of
course, if you want it to work.

Yep the one I've used was about 3 ft long and we were using it to
weigh quarters of a beef in the butchering. The quarter were going
in the range of 200+ lbs (for all metric folks I havent any idea
how many Kilos that is :-) ) Havent been doing any butchering for
about 20 yrs now. The business end had a big hook to hang the
quarter on.
...lew...