Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hay Scale? (It's made of metal!)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:13:32 -0400, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:40:20 -0400, Joe
wrote:

I just bought what I've always called a "hay scale". It's just a
balance beam with a top hook for hanging from wherever, and a bottom
hook for the load. The beam is brass, with a sliding counterweight,
and there are 2 extra weights (iron) for increasing the capacity.
(metal content)

snip

How about a picture or two?

There was a lot of these scales produced for almost an
infinite number of items. Ice scales is another one not yet
mentioned.

I'll take a look in some of my books and see if anything
looks similar if you want to post some picts.

OK, I posted a photo in the Dropbox: Hay_CottonScale.gif & Hay_CottonScale.txt
Coming from this area, it's possible that it's a cotton scale, but I still don't
know what would have been attached to the left side to bring it level. The scale
is 0 - 50 lbs. Maybe a pan - it took about 2.75 lbs to level it out.

See my note about the extra weights; It looks like I missed a good deal, unless
I can find the dealer again.

Sorry about the file size - IrfanView converted it to a smaller format, but
defaulted to a .gif & I sent it before I realized it was no longer a .jpg.

Joe