Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default Looking for a little saw advice

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
My wife and I are about to install a hardwood floor and we're looking
to purchase a saw for this project as well as future projects. This
would have been an easy decision until my father-in-law complicated
things by saying that I would never regret buying a radial arm saw.
So I've done a bit of research and I'm wondering if a radial arm saw
might be too much tool for me. I'm learning stuff as I go and I'm not
afraid to learn how to use it, but it sounds like radial arm saw have
to be adjusted often and Im not sure if that's something I'll be able
to do accurately. Any suggestions or opinions would be great...FYI, I
have other projects that will require miter cuts.

I recommend the $99 Ryobi table saw at HD. I used one for almost the same
project you are contemplating.

Fact is, I got half way through the project using my radial arm say and a
miter saw. The problem was ripping planks for the last row - it's not the
easiest thing on MY radial arm saw.

Anyway, the table saw worked swell on the remaing parts of the project.

A radial arm saw is the saw of choice for a lot of projects - it's hard to
beat its precision for shutters, cabinets, and the like. A cheap table saw
can't be beaten for laminate flooring. For classic hardwood flooring (the
long, 3" wide planks), a radial, miter, hand power, or table saw would work
equally well.

Perhaps rent one or both at HD?

Lou