Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On Apr 17, 1:31*pm, "Jon" wrote:
You're starting to make me nervous?
In what part of the country will you be towing this thing?

My recommendation: *go to a lot that sells new trailers. Look. Learn.
Northern hydraulics sells a book that teaches building trailers

"stryped" wrote in message

I am just thinking here about that trailer. I may never build it but
if
I did get materials and did try to make it out of that 2x2 or 2x3
square tubing, what if I mafe a triangle gusset for each corner on the
bottom.
Drilled through the top tubing through the gusset, then installed a
grade 5 carriage bolt or something. Then welded the whole thing also? I
guess I am trying to "over engineer' it. I can weld, but have never had
training. I have never had anything really come apart that I have
welded, but on something like a trailer, I would like to take every
precaution I could.- Hide quoted text -

I have looked on lots. There are as many designs as I have questions.

One question by the way, would it be stupid to put a dovetail and a
fold down gate on a 10 foot trailer? And if I did have a dovetail,
when calculating the axle placement using the 60/40 rule, do you
consider the dovetail in terms of the total length?