Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On Apr 17, 12:07*pm, Ignoramus29232 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
29232.invalid wrote:
On 2008-04-17, stryped wrote:

On Apr 17, 7:12•£Äam, Ignoramus29232 ignoramus29...@NOSPAM.
Also, to the OP, if you add some sides to your trailer, they can
increase its strength considerably, without adding too much weight.

I never thought of that. Even the simple angle iron sides?

Yes, Let's say your trailer's frame looks like this (looking from the
side):

If, instead, you make it look like this by adding a side:

made from much smaller material, say 1/8" thick 1" square tubing, or
even 1" angle, the frame will be a lot stiffer, without too much extra
cost. On my trailer, this function is performed by the unibody bed. *

The ends should be triangles instead of rectangles. Otherwise this is
a common way to build a trailer for heavy loads.