Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On Apr 16, 9:36*pm, Ignoramus12441 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
12441.invalid wrote:
stryped, you absolutely need to make a scale drawing of your trailer,
an post it here for some comments, before proceeding. I did that and
am glad that at least there was somne discussion, before making my
trailer. It seems to be holding up fine so far.

drawing here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Home...th-M105A2-Bed/

That is nice trailer. I have been studying books. I even have the old
“ARC WELDED PROJECTS” book Lincoln put out many years ago.

I like how your center tongue almost goes through the entire length of
the frame. I have seen that before, I have seen people just use an “A”
frame with no center with the A butt welded to the front frame cross
piece. I have seen an “A” welded underneath the frame. Underneath the
frame is what I was thinking of doing. I would actually prefer the
center tongue through the whole thing as in the ignoramous military
trailer example, but I don’t think I have a long enough piece to do
that. I was thinking that if I did the A frame underneath, I could
bolt for good measure.

Speaking of that someone in this thread mention using ½ inch bolts and
threading the holes so the both does not have to go through both sides
of the tubing. I like this idea. In the case of a failed weld or a
partial failed weld, would this realisticly hold a loaded trailer
togther or is it just for “psycologicla comfort”? It would help line
everything up before final welding.

As a side note, when welding I aways use “circles”, basically weaving
circles up the joint. Is this a good idea? FWIW I seem to be able to
weld eaier with my 6010 rods than 7018. Why would that be? My rods are
about 4 years old and have been sitting in a closet inside my house.
Are they still ok?

Thanks for your help and time. I am learning a lot. Maybe I could post
a sample weld of mine and you could critique it?