Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29232 Ignoramus29232 is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On 2008-04-17, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I have never had anything really come apart that I have
welded, ...

I have, intentionally, to see how good the weld was. The welding shop
at the local high school has a 50 ton press for testing weld samples
to destruction. I didn't weld my front end loader's frame until I
could make a butt joint with 7018 that could be bend over double. At
home you can use a hydraulic jack to stretch a test structure out of
shape. Just don't get hit by flying pieces.

Jim Wilkins

The poor man's version of destructive testing, involves a vise and a
hammer to bend the pieces.

Also, to the OP, if you add some sides to your trailer, they can
increase its strength considerably, without adding too much weight.