Posted to alt.home.repair
RVer Don RVer Don is offline

Default Beware Allstate

I have Allstate Homeowners Insurance. I have a tile roof on all of my house
except a second story bedroom with a flat roof with a rubber membrane
approximately 18 x 25 feet. This roof and the tile were installed 21 years
ago. On Jan. 4 a hugh gust of wind got under the flat roof and ripped it
off completely. It went over the top of the tile roof and landed in my
front yard ripping off a number of tile along the way. This same tile is no
longer available. At first they were going to take good tile from the back
of the house to repair the front side and find some tile similar for the
back side. I objected and asked for a complete new roof. After some
discussion, they agreed and replaced the entire roof.

At no time was there ever any question about the roof not being up to the
current code although the replacement roof appears to me to be a much better
installation than the roof being replaced. I mentioned this to my roofer
and his answer was basically what you were told, the method of installation
is much better today than 21 years ago. The cost to Allstate was $2,000.00
more than I paid for the house in 1970.

Several years ago I had water damage to the hardwood floor in the kitchen
due to a leak from the dishwasher. They replaced the entire floor at no
cost to me. My experience with Allstate in the settlement of these claims
has been to my complete satisfaction.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

"Frank" wrote in message
Beware Allstate. My house was built in 1993 and met all building
codes at that time. Now I have wind damage and they will not cover
damage because the roof is not up to current code. We are simply
talking about the nailing strip on a single and its relationship with
the glue strip. I've had several roofers tell me that this is the way
roofs were put on at the time and the code has changed since. If this
is allowed then I'm not sure it pays to have insurance. I'm putting on
a new roof out of my pocket and leaving Allstate and will never return.