Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

stryped wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:09 pm, jw wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:43 am, stryped wrote:

I am just thinking here about that trailer. I may never build it but
if
I did get materials and did try to make it out of that 2x2 or 2x3
square tubing, what if I mafe a triangle gusset for each corner on the bottom.
Drilled through the top tubing through the gusset, then installed a
grade 5 carriage bolt or something. Then welded the whole thing also? I
guess I am trying to "over engineer' it. I can weld, but have never had
training. I have never had anything really come apart that I have
welded, but on something like a trailer, I would like to take every
precaution I could.

Just a nit, but "over engineering" would be if you optimized the heck
out of it. This is "under engineering" or just brute strength
designing (if you can even call it that).

Over engineered would be a aluminum tube space frame, stressed member,
composite deck, etc.... to carry your lawnmower.

Never understood why something that was nearly the opposite of
engineered was "over engineered".

JW

Is it a bad idea?

Properly welded you don't need the bolt. Get it welded RIGHT and forget
the bolts and associated gadgets. If you don't trust some weld, i.e.
the strength of a corner, use bracing across the corners - also welded.
Don't forget the plate on the top is going to be some reinforcing for
the whole frame.