Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
rjdankert rjdankert is offline

Default "ruts" and "nubbins" in concave turning

Hi, I think this is my first post here. I have been lurking here for
a little more than a year when I bought my first lathe. It is a mini
(10 inch). I have one of Raffan's books, have taken several turning
books out of the library, been to many websites (Around the Woods is
my favorite), and don't have a clue how to search this group for ruts
in concave turning. On concave pieces - plates and bowls I get "ruts"
on the inside surfaces after using a bowl gouge. I've only turned one
green bowl and everything else was with dried wood. I am using a
Benjamins Best bowl gouge with the grind it came with. I've turned
cross grain and crotch pieces so far. What I end up with are what look
like ruts in the bottom. I also have trouble with the nubbin in the
center. It dosen't come off cleanly - sometimes leaving an
indentation.. I eventually get the ruts out with a round nose scraper
and sandpaper. .It seems to take forever.

I am hoping that someone might recongize these "symptoms" and provide
some advice

TIA,

Bob