Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

jw wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:43 am, stryped wrote:

I am just thinking here about that trailer. I may never build it but
if

I did get materials and did try to make it out of that 2x2 or 2x3
square tubing, what if I mafe a triangle gusset for each corner on the bottom.
Drilled through the top tubing through the gusset, then installed a
grade 5 carriage bolt or something. Then welded the whole thing also? I
guess I am trying to "over engineer' it. I can weld, but have never had
training. I have never had anything really come apart that I have
welded, but on something like a trailer, I would like to take every
precaution I could.

Just a nit, but "over engineering" would be if you optimized the heck
out of it. This is "under engineering" or just brute strength
designing (if you can even call it that).

Over engineered would be a aluminum tube space frame, stressed member,
composite deck, etc.... to carry your lawnmower.

Never understood why something that was nearly the opposite of
engineered was "over engineered".

JW

Well, I could care less.

And you ever notice how often we say 'no' when we mean 'yes'?
No, its true!

--Winston