Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Bolting a trailer and welding?

On Apr 16, 2:09*pm, jw wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:43 am, stryped wrote:

I am just thinking here about that trailer. I may never build it but
if

I did get materials and did try to make it out of that 2x2 or 2x3
square tubing, what if I mafe a triangle gusset for each corner on the bottom.
Drilled through the top tubing through the gusset, then installed a
grade 5 carriage bolt or something. Then welded the whole thing also? I
guess I am trying to "over engineer' it. I can weld, but have never had
training. I have never had anything really come apart that I have
welded, but on something like a trailer, I would like to take every
precaution I could.

Just a nit, but "over engineering" would be if you optimized the heck
out of it. *This is "under engineering" or just brute strength
designing (if you can even call it that).

Over engineered would be a aluminum tube space frame, stressed member,
composite deck, etc.... to carry your lawnmower.

Never understood why something that was nearly the opposite of
engineered was "over engineered".

JW

Is it a bad idea?