Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default This is ridiculous....

Mike WB2MEP wrote:

On Apr 15, 10:49 pm, "James Sweet" wrote:
You may as well preach that to a pile of rocks, I doubt many people who are
still using google groups are ever gonna figure it out.- Hide quoted text -

If any of you know of a way other than Google Groups to access usenet
that doesn't require
NNTP access I'm all ears... I got an account at Motzarella.org, a free
news server mentioned
in an earlier thread, and have not been able to access their server.
I spent two evenings
going back and forth with their tech support guy, who was very
helpful, gave me alternate
ports to try, direct IP addresses to try via Telnet, pinging their
servers, nothing worked -
"Cannot Access Server". "Details" showed a Code of 800ccc0e in every
case. (using OE)
Finally gave up figuring the ports were being blocked by the firewall
on my end.
Tried Giganews tonight. Did'nt sign up for an account, but configured
OE to access their
server. I figured I should get a Login Failed if I tried to log in
without an account there,
but got the same Cannot Access Server error in OE. At this point I
wouldn't mind a
paid account, the rates are pretty reasonable, but I don't want to pay
for an account and
be unable to access their server. Any ideas?

Giganews is OK, but Supernews was better about filtering spam and
trolls before it was borged into Giganews. It dropped any message from
Google Groups that was cross posted to five or more newsgroups.

I see that you are posting from lmco.com, so they probably have port
119 blocked with their corporate nannyware. Microdyne did the same
thing when I worked there. Earthlink outsourced their usenet service to
Supernews last August. Giganews borged it last month.

I don't know who you use for a personal ISP, so it's hard to give you
advice. Supposedly I can access Giganews from any place on earth by
using my Earthlink login.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM