Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg F Greg F is offline

Default tub spout with diverter - leaking behind the wall

Previously had a tub spout (with diverter "gate"? in it) to make the
shower work. It didn't divert all the water - and made a whistling
noise when showering. Bought a new one and replaced. These spouts go
straight onto just a straight piece of copper pipe (slip on type?).
Anyways - the original problem was fixed - but now I think it is
actually leaking behind the wall when showering (we are seeing water
dripping from the ceiling in the room below the tub). Anyone have
experience with the problem? Seems to make sense that if the shutoff
gate now works better- but the slip on part is not 100% waterproof -
then it would now leak behind the wall.

As an FYI - I used some plumber putter on the spout where it connects
to the plastic wall - because the old one had that too. I also didn't
caulk around the spout (was going to do tha eventually) - but the
amount of water leaking seems to be more than could just leak from the
outside of the spout into the wall.

With the striaght slip on spouts with diverter gates - what is
supposed to make the watertight? Are there "O" rings in there? Maybe
just go back and buy a different one (the one I got was from Lowes -
maybe try home depot?).

Thanks in advance for any help.