Keith Carlson

Default 12 1/2 planer doesn't like 12 inch wide boards much

Thanks all, for the feedback. I will just remember the limitations next
time. (which is soon, three more boards, but those are 13" wide, so were
going to be ripped down with the circular saw first anyway).

Couple of quick reply-replies:
Yep, the blades were sharp. I had just flipped the blades over to a clean,
sharp edge (double-edged blades).

Yep, was using an extension cord. Only way around that for me is to install
a drop-down outlet from the ceiling of my garage. Cord is 12ga, I believe.
Also, the electrical service in this house is not great. 100amp service, and
previous owners have added circuits... who knows how many outlets on a
circuit. I do know the garage shares a circuit with half the basement. I
have no 20amp outlets in the garage.

As far as the planer not being the right way to surface rough lumber, I
havent' had a problem getting boards flat yet. (but then, I haven't done
much work yet!) I'd guess I've surfaced about 60bf of my oak, and have
always come out flat and straight. The rough boards came pretty flat, and
another guess is that starting out at about 5/4 thickness, they don't
deflect much under the feed rollers.

Keith C.

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
s.com...
Welcome to the little Delta planer. It's a great little machine but it's

not
really designed to work for a living. For those large cuts, I only go MAX
1/8 turn and even then I try to go less than that. I'll run it through

four
or five times and let the planer cool off before running it through again.

I ran 500 bd ft of pine through it a while back and while it did get hot,

it
never really complained. That said, I was concerned enough that I bought a
15" JET for the "real" planing but am keeping the 22-560 for the smaller
stuff and for the finishing cuts.

Good luck
Rob

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message
Should a planer be able to operate continuously on boards at its

capacity
if
the recommended maximum cut is used???

I may have done something stupid tonight. Well, maybe not stupid...

ignorant
at least. First time I tried running a 12 inch wide rough-sawn (red oak)
board through my Delta planer. I started, like I always do, feeding it
through with the depth set so it would feed through, but nothing being

cut.
Then crank it down a half turn with each pass. The first couple of

passes
where it actually cut, I noticed the motor was really bogged down, so I
switched to 1/4 turn down each pass. The owner's manual says 1 turn is

3/32
inch. So a quarter turn should be about 3/128, or about .023 being cut.

Of course, taking smaller cuts means it takes longer to surface both

sides.
I was at this for about 30 minutes. Near the end I started lowering the
depth by only 1/8 turn (.011 cut).

When I shut if off, there was smoke rising off the motor housing, and

the
gray plastic housing had discolored. :-( Son came out to the garage and
said "smells like burnt chicken in here!"

Now, the manual reads: "For 10" and 12" wide hardwood, a maximum depth

of
cut of 3/64 is recommended". I was cutting less than that. Do the
manufacturers (or Delta at least) exaggerate the capability of these
machines? Should I have known better and cut for 10 minutes, then

waited
for 10-15 minutes before continuing?

***
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the
position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he
has overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington

***