Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Pete Snell" wrote in message

Here's a good article on fuels and detonation (gasoline based).

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/wrenching-with-robchemical-soup-the-mystery-of-detonation-3420.html

Veddy interesting, and quite a cut above the level of science usually
addressed in popular articles.

Yeah, Tuluie ain't your ordinary backyard engine builder. He's a
schooled (and published) Astrophysicist, who has gone one to become Head
of R&D with the ING Renault F1 Team.

I read the article on two-stroke expansion chambers because I have a
particular family interest. I see that the author repeats the version
usually told, that Walter Kaaden discovered the principle in the 1950s. If I
can ever find the photo, or the guy who has it, there is one of a 35cc
2-stroke model boat engine, built in 1933, that won some championship model
races that year -- with the aid of a tapered expansion-chamber exhaust with
a short reverse cone on the exit end. My uncle designed and built it.

But he never patented it. The same is true of the star-drag revolving-spool
fishing reel, in which (then) Ocean City reels expressed an interest, but
declined to buy it. A year later it appeared on the market and it was the
basis for the Penn Reel drag that's still sold today. I have the prototype
reel itself in that case -- but no patent. g

--
Ed Huntress