Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:23:23 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Auto ignition is not how a diesel ignites its fuel. A compression
ignition engine compresses air to above the ignition temperature of
the fuel and then injects the fuel into the preheated air causing the
fuel to ignite.

I hate to be argumentive but I worked in the Indonesian government
Petroleum Labs for a couple of years and I didn;t hear any of the
people from the French Petroleum Institute (who were the main
consultants) compare Octane to Centane ratings. They measure two
different things that apply to two different types of engines.

Octane applies to gasoline powering a spark ignition engine. Centane
applies diesel fuel powering a compression ignition engine. You can
interpolate all you want but I can assure you that in an engine lab
they do not use the compression ignition engine to test for octane
rating nor the spark ignition engines to test for centane rating.

Actually, of 8 different fuels rated (including ethanol, methanol, #2
diesel, gasoline, propane, hydrogen,MTBE and CNG, only TWO are rated
for Cetane.

Here are most of the others:

http://www.naftc.wvu.edu/naftc/data/...datatable.html

--