Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Spam in this group

On Apr 14, 7:10 am, Chiefwoodworker wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am using Google Groups to read this usenet group. But I am inundated
with spam. This morning I had 11 pages of Fake Jewlery to scan looking
for a woodworking related post before I got to one. Is there a way to
filter this junk using Google Groups?

Joe....www.srww.com

Joe,
You're going to get told to get a newsgroup reader--I've got one, it
doesn't work. There is also a googlegroups program that works with
Foxmire (supposedly) to filter out this crap. So far, I've had no luck
with that, either. I'm obviously doing something wrong in both cases,
but...no one can tell me what.

With Pismire--Firefox to those of us who don't really like it but are
too lazy to change--you need to get an add-on called Grease Monkey, at
which time you can, I'm told, add the filters from Google Groups
filter...go to googlegroupsfilter as a search on Google Groups.

If you figure it out, let me know.

I'm about to bail on the NG because of the spam. Google itself should
offer some kind of filter, but prefers not to, for whatever rationale,
which is the reason for the Robin Hood's barn methods, I guess. If I
can't get that to work after this book is out, then screw it. Like
you, I wade through anywhere from two to a dozen pages of much to get
to one grain of rice, while wondering how many I missed in the slop
before. Not worth it on a long term basis.