Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

Actually, the project is to check out the very low end of the biofuels.
I strongly suspect that the target fuels would make canola oil look like
wonderful stuff. It might make a new meaning for the term 'bio sludge'

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:50:08 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

Very interesting discussion. I've been asked to be the project manager
for an alternate fuels project based around a 100kw Cat diesel
generator. Fire up on a new fuel, check for short term issues, go to a
50% load then 100% load for 8 to 24 hours, then tear down and look for
damage. Looks like I would be spending more time than planned dealing
with the injector pump. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

What are the alternate fuels they want to check?

If it's natural gas, Caterpillar has off the shelf engines to do
that. No experimenting or reinventing the wheel needed - just couple,
plumb and go.

If it's canola or other vegetable oils, they have specs for getting
the glycerine out, and the concentrations allowed. IIRC they only
allow B-20 right now (80% regular diesel) if you still want warranty
coverage, but that may well have changed.

For B-100, yeah you'd want to keep an eye on the injector pump.

-- Bruce --