Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Posit: Electricity now cheaper than home heating oil

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:19:52 +0100 (BST) Dave Liquorice wrote :
Yep, and one of the neighbours said to me recently they'd just filled
their tank at 50p a litre and the driver said the industry reckoned it
would be a pound a litre by 2009.

If so that has very serious implications on the price of road fuels, think
160+p/l for diesel and 150p+/l for petrol. The base oil cost of all fuels
is pretty much the same, it's the the duty and VAT that give the price
differences.

One of the sort-of consolations of petrol duty being so high is that petrol
prices changes in percentage terms are shielded somewhat from wild swings in
the oil price, unlike in the USA. If the world oil price was to double
again, I think that paying to refill heating tanks would be the least of
people's worries.

Was watching a bit on TV this morning re a new crime, stealing oil from
people's tanks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm (video clip)