Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Posit: Electricity now cheaper than home heating oil

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:53:49 +0100, "Dieseldes"
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.net...
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:53 +0100, MM wrote:

It's close, burn a litre of kero in and hour you get about 10kw of
energy. So divide the p/l price by 10 for the cost/kwhr but that does
not take into account boiler effciency or rather lack off...

Thing is, the lecky companies have just increased their prices, so
they are likely to remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Possibly, but I'm only paying 8.415p/unit for leccy, so with oil a
5p+/unit, not taking into account boiler inefficiency, the gap isn't very
big.

However, I reckon that heating oil is the Cinderella fuel that no one
cares about.

Well no one uses it for heating do they? I wonder what the percentages
are between gas, electric, solid and oil for space heating are.

One never sees headlines about the massive hike in home heating costs
with this fuel as one sees with gas and electricity.

This is true, I've had 4 deliveries of 2000l of oil since Jan 2007, each
time the price has been significantly higher than the last:

Jan 2007 28.12
Jun 2007 30.25 7% rise
Dec 2007 40.59 34% rise
Apr 2008 48.85 20% rise

Overall a 73% rise in just over a year. So all you lot on mains gas
squealing about a 20% rise, think again.

oil will soon become so exorbitant a luxury that the government will
have a real crisis on its hands.

With diesel now hitting 115 to 120p/l and petrol about 6p lower there is
going to be an helluva a pressure upwards on prices for everything. I hope
they are thinking about it, they "delayed" the 2p/l duty hike on road
fuels due on 1st April in the budget but it's going to take more than that
to ease the pressure.

When we installed an oil fired Stanley around 1997 our first fill of oil
was 9.5p p/l around a £110 for the tankfill!! so that makes 550% increase
in 11 years **** me that's hyperinflation!

Yep, and one of the neighbours said to me recently they'd just filled
their tank at 50p a litre and the driver said the industry reckoned it
would be a pound a litre by 2009. The drivers fear for their jobs as
customers drop oil heating like a hot potato. Competition won't cut
it, because the price is largely due to the weak dollar and Opec
refusing to pump any more.

MM