Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Circular saw problem

On 2008-04-13 22:06:42 +0100, David said:

In article 480260b0@qaanaaq, Andy Hall wrote:

It sounds like shorting turns in the motor and/or commutator.

So is the most likely cause of that just wear and tear?

It could be. I had one B&D product that had an early life motor
failure. However, I wouldn't say that this implies that they all do.

Good choices for a replacement are Skil, if you want something solid
but not too expensive. Rather better are Hitachi or Makita.

I was looking at circs a while ago as the B&D has never been more than
adequate. I liked the look of Skil (and I have a small Skil mains saw
which is very good).

You would notice quite a step up.

The Hitachi looks nice too although I think it's at the top end of what
I'd be prepared to pay considering it wouldn't be used that often.

That would be a further step up, but I'd say that Skil would represent
good value for money and durability.

Not struck by Makita. My uncle had one several years ago and although
it seemed tough, it didn't seem particularly refined. Maybe things have
changed.

The other two I was looking at were the Kress one from Wickes which
seemed decent and solid and the new Rage model at B&Q which also seemed
solid, although perhaps a risk given that it's a relatively new brand.

Kress does at least have spares availability.

If price is anything to go by, the Worx range from Screwfix ought to be
good. Anyone know anything about them?

I think you would find the Skil quite a bit better, spares available and
owned by Bosch.

Bosch bought Skil some years back in order to have a market offering on
a par with B&D toys instead of down grading their own green range.
Spares support is good on all Bosch owner power tools.
I'd go for a blue Bosch for choice.
Bob