Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Circular saw problem

I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is
still there.

What's likely happened and is it for the skip? It's a B&D so I guess
spares/repair is possible although maybe not economical.

I checked the brushes and they seem to have plenty of length left in
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 20:25:55 +0100, David said:

I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is
still there.

What's likely happened and is it for the skip? It's a B&D so I guess
spares/repair is possible although maybe not economical.

I checked the brushes and they seem to have plenty of length left in
them.

It sounds like shorting turns in the motor and/or commutator. If
you've had it for a while then it's probably not worth repairing.

Good choices for a replacement are Skil, if you want something solid
but not too expensive. Rather better are Hitachi or Makita.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David writes:
I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

If you do suspect you've overheated a motor and might not
have destroyed it yet, don't stop it, but let it run at
full speed with no load for a minute. This will give it a
full cooling airflow with low power dissipation, allowing
it to quickly cool, usually before the heat gets to more
susceptable parts and destroys them.

A friend overheated his B&D, and just left it on the floor
to cool down. Came back to find the plastic case melted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 480260b0@qaanaaq, Andy Hall wrote:

It sounds like shorting turns in the motor and/or commutator.

So is the most likely cause of that just wear and tear?

Good choices for a replacement are Skil, if you want something solid
but not too expensive. Rather better are Hitachi or Makita.

I was looking at circs a while ago as the B&D has never been more than
adequate. I liked the look of Skil (and I have a small Skil mains saw
which is very good).

The Hitachi looks nice too although I think it's at the top end of what
I'd be prepared to pay considering it wouldn't be used that often.

Not struck by Makita. My uncle had one several years ago and although
it seemed tough, it didn't seem particularly refined. Maybe things have
changed.

The other two I was looking at were the Kress one from Wickes which
seemed decent and solid and the new Rage model at B&Q which also seemed
solid, although perhaps a risk given that it's a relatively new brand.

If price is anything to go by, the Worx range from Screwfix ought to be
good. Anyone know anything about them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 22:06:42 +0100, David said:

In article 480260b0@qaanaaq, Andy Hall wrote:

It sounds like shorting turns in the motor and/or commutator.

So is the most likely cause of that just wear and tear?

It could be. I had one B&D product that had an early life motor
failure. However, I wouldn't say that this implies that they all do.

Good choices for a replacement are Skil, if you want something solid
but not too expensive. Rather better are Hitachi or Makita.

I was looking at circs a while ago as the B&D has never been more than
adequate. I liked the look of Skil (and I have a small Skil mains saw
which is very good).

You would notice quite a step up.

The Hitachi looks nice too although I think it's at the top end of what
I'd be prepared to pay considering it wouldn't be used that often.

That would be a further step up, but I'd say that Skil would represent
good value for money and durability.

Not struck by Makita. My uncle had one several years ago and although
it seemed tough, it didn't seem particularly refined. Maybe things have
changed.

The other two I was looking at were the Kress one from Wickes which
seemed decent and solid and the new Rage model at B&Q which also seemed
solid, although perhaps a risk given that it's a relatively new brand.

Kress does at least have spares availability.

If price is anything to go by, the Worx range from Screwfix ought to be
good. Anyone know anything about them?

I think you would find the Skil quite a bit better, spares available
and owned by Bosch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is
still there.

Sounds like you have lost a winding...

What's likely happened and is it for the skip? It's a B&D so I guess
spares/repair is possible although maybe not economical.

Replacement armatures can sometimes be not too expensive - you might
find it costs something like £25 - £30 if you can get one.

Have a look and see if yours is in this list:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/spar...c1/110/c2/1631

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-04-13 22:06:42 +0100, David said:

[...]

Bosch bought Skil some years back in order to have a market offering on
a par with B&D toys instead of down grading their own green range.
Spares support is good on all Bosch owner power tools.
I'd go for a blue Bosch for choice.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr, 20:25, David wrote:

is it for the skip? It's a B&D

From the day it was made.

Makita or Hitachi are the local favourites.

Skil used to be good, but no longer - they've gone so far downmarket
they're now pitching at B&D. Old stock "Classic" or "Legend" is still
nice, if you can find it.

Then make sure you buy some varying blades! No such thing as a "one
size fits all" here - ripping softwood is a long way from trying to
get a neat edge on ply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
David wrote:

I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is
still there.

Sounds like you have lost a winding...

Yes, insulation failure. Theres a horrible bodge that will enable
motors in that state to run indefinitely, so if you know someone
penniless that wants a circ saw... run it in series with a 3kW
heater, and it'll run, albeit at reduced power.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
I was using the circular saw yesterday when smoke and a burning smell
came from the motor, so stopped immediately. Didn't think I was
overtaxing it at the time - just cutting some chipboard.

Today, it still runs but the motor sounds raggy and the burning smell is
still there.

What's likely happened and is it for the skip? It's a B&D so I guess
spares/repair is possible although maybe not economical.

I checked the brushes and they seem to have plenty of length left in
them.

A good way to check for a shorted/missing turn on the motor is to connect it
up to say a 6V PSU (preferably with over load protectio), via current meter
and turn the motor by hand. My Flymo strimmer started smoking when on mains
and when connected to a 6V lab PSU and turned by hand consumed a couple of
mA until a certain position in which it overloaded the PSU. Also had a mover
in which had an open turn which reads 0mA in a certain position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:

Skil used to be good, but no longer - they've gone so far downmarket
they're now pitching at B&D. Old stock "Classic" or "Legend" is still
nice, if you can find it.

The current models are called "Classic". Are these not as good as the
older ones? How do you tell the difference?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article htWdnSSJpehZ45_VnZ2dnUVZ8sninZ2d@plusnet,
John Rumm wrote:

Replacement armatures can sometimes be not too expensive - you might
find it costs something like £25 - £30 if you can get one.

Have a look and see if yours is in this list:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/spar...c1/110/c2/1631

48 quid!!! I don't think they want me to repair it. Thanks for the
link though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:

Bosch bought Skil some years back in order to have a market offering on
a par with B&D toys instead of down grading their own green range.
Spares support is good on all Bosch owner power tools.
I'd go for a blue Bosch for choice.
Bob

Just been having a look around again to see what the prices are like and
the one thing I discovered is that every model mentioned is more
expensive at Screwfix than anywhere else.

What happened to them? Kingfisher, maybe?

Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem [email protected] Home Repair 27 March 15th 20 11:51 PM
circular saw Fred UK diy 12 February 11th 08 10:38 PM
Circular Saw q [email protected] UK diy 55 October 1st 07 09:59 PM
Help me buy a circular saw 46erjoe Home Repair 41 January 18th 07 04:05 AM
Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem [email protected] Woodworking 30 August 9th 06 07:40 PM