Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default shelves on plasterboard wall

Hi,

I have run out of space to store my cds and dvds. I've looked in the
shops but not found anything suitable (do you know of anything?). So I
was thinking of putting up some shelves, which I might enclose to make
a cupboard. That way, it would keep the sun off them and stop them
fading. It would be quite a decent size, almost like building a
wardrobe.

The walls are plasterboard. I was going to use those slotted bars that
you slide brackets into for the shelving. Can I use plasterboard or
hollow wall anchors to hold these tot he wall, or would I be best
finding the studs to "future-proof" it against heavier loads? If so,
can anyone recommend a decent stud detector?

What would I use to fix the cupbaord to the wall?

I'd quite like to have tinted galss doors but I don't know where I'd
get the glass from; I guess it's a matter of getting the yellow pages
and calling a few glass merchants?

The other thought I had was to get two doors on a rail and have
sliding doors, like on a wardrobe. How do these work? Do I need a
track on the top and bottom of the doors?

Thanks in advance.