Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default OT Diesel engines

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:48:43 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Sorry about the OT, but, I do contribute once in a while and this is such

knowledgeable group!

Many decades ago (1950's) when people talked about diesel engines (lot of
this talk was from 'old country' poor Europeans), they would always tout

the
fact that they (the engines) would run on anything. The list, if I

remember
correctly included diesel, gas, lighter fluid, heating oil, liquefied

lard,
charcoal lighter, veggie oil etc., etc., etc.

If any of the above is true, why don't people, today, put gasoline into
their diesel engines, considering the higher cost of diesel fuel?

Just want to know what would happened if you did use gasoline.
BTW, my only diesel is my small Kubota tractor.

Thanks for replies.

Ivan Vegvary

I drive an old Mercedes diesel and I understand that the car will run on
gasoline in a pinch but the performance really sucks. For instance if I was
almost out of diesel and had a 100 miles to get it, I could get a half a
tank of gas to get me to the place where I could buy diesel.

What I am wondering is if Automatic transmission fluid could be used to run
the engine. Also if it could, what would I have to do with the drained used
ATF to burn it. The transmission shop would probably be tickled pink to get
a buck a gallon for the drain oil.

First of all it would need to be filtered REAL well to get any
metallic microgrit out of it, and I imagine you would almost have to
mix it with diesel to get the viscosity down a bit or pre-heat it.
It will burn in a diesel engine.